Thursday, May 3, 2018

Bridging the Gap: Autonomous Cars


Self-driving (or autonomous) cars have been portrayed in futuristic movies, covered in the media, and have faced much scrutiny in recent years. So what are autonomous cars? They are defines them as a vehicle that can guide itself without human conduction (Techopedia). A fully autonomous car might not be perfected or available to the market today and probably wont be for another decade, but they're coming alright. This concept might frighten people, especially after the autonomous Uber car incident in March 2018. Currently Google, GM, Volvo, and other companies are working on perfecting the fully autonomous car. however, even if these vehicles are safer than the average human driver, there will still be accidents until some sort of nationwide infrastructure for every car to communicate through is implemented. Elon Musk had an interesting opinion about this topic;

"The thing that's tricky with autonomous vehicles is that autonomy doesn't reduce the accident rate or fatality rate to zero. It improves it substantially... but the accidents that do happen with autonomous vehicles get a disproportionate amount of attention." (Elon Musk)

Link to full article: Tesla's Elon Musk

He has a great point, the negative news coverage would outweigh the positive and it would take even longer for the public to accept. So how do we bridge this gap and ease into the autonomous car world? Ask Audi, currently one of the leaders in self driving human support technology. Bits and pieces of this technology are seen in other car manufacturers, like self parking and auto-break capabilities, but Audi is redefining the gap between features and full autonomy. The 2019 Audi A8 has plenty of 3 star autonomous features such as driving in traffic under 35mph and the garage parking system which you can step out of the car and control with your smartphone. What Audi is trying to master is how the car executes the "handoff" that is alerting the driver to take the wheel. This has been more of a challenge than perfecting the auto-driving capabilities. In the A8, engineers are fine tuning these features. Currently the car watches the driver using facial recognition and has steering wheel touch sensory, if there is inactivity the car will use visual and audio alerts as well as pump the breaks until the driver is attentive. If this doesn't work the car will turn on the hazard lights, slowly break, and pull over safely.

Audi A8 2019:


This model is arriving in late 2018 and will be available for just over $100,000. Since this is an expensive luxury vehicle, it wont make a huge impact until other manufacturers begin to adopt these capabilities and make them more cost effective. Alex Davies from Wired says "The A8 hasn’t proven itself yet, and Audi will never sell enough of the executive-­toting sedans to make much of a dent in traffic fatalities. But its human-­centered focus can serve as a model for other companies."(Davies)
Before we can put fully driving, point A to point B cars, there must be transition, especially for human safety. This innovation can help bridge the gap between human and fully autonomous vehicles, creating an advancing, yet safer world.


Link to Audi Article: Wired

8 comments:

  1. Hi Ty,

    I think you make a really strong argument for a topic that has been controversial recently. Although there was an accident with a self-driving Uber car, this has been the ONLY accident. People are using this as nothing more than an excuse to fight against a controversial subject because with the development of self-driving cars comes the job loss for millions of Americans. As a result, people are becoming increasingly apprehensive to technology because they know that they may lose there jobs. Compared to the thousands of people who are killed by human drivers, ONE accident from Uber is statistically insignificant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ty,

    I really liked your briefing on autonomous cars and how you bring to light the controversy over them. One thing I focused on in your writing is that there is a model coming out this year that will cost 100,000 and be considered a luxury vehicle. Just like when cars first started being made they were extremely expensive which drove competition and eventually lower prices. I wonder if as electric cars start to gain traction new players in the market will arise. Do you think so? Also do you think companies like google or apple will seize the opportunity and begin to manufacture their own cars as they already have the best technology equipment?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Tyler,

    I really enjoyed your thoughts on autonomous car. It is amazing to see these technology advancements in the not so distant future. I think before cars like the new A8 are going to penetrate the market, companies like Uber with their potential fleet of automated cars will have to be installed. Once a major corporation successfully launches a fleet of automated cars, I believe this will open a lot more doors for automated cars. That is just my two cents, what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you say that Ian Tyler, according to Elon Musk when autonomous cars become more popular, people will start renting them out like Ubers. The car will leave the owners house pick someone up and drop them off, all on its own. This seems like a reach but it will happen sooner than you think. Great comment pal.

      Delete
  4. Ty,

    Great article and great share. It is ironic that you gave the Elon Musk quote regarding accident rates, as I recently just saw an article that detailed a recent crash between an automated driving vehicle and a human operated vehicle. The conclusion of the police report was it was actually the human's fault for the crash. I thought that was interesting considering that people are concerned about "safety" features for automated vehicles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ty,

    I really enjoyed your article and blog post. This topic is extremely controversial and brings about both safety and legal liabilities. I was completely unaware of the advanced technology of the the Audi A8. I agree with everything that you said about having a smooth transition from these cars. I believe one of the main reasons why these self-driving cars are having so many issues is because companies are jumping the gun and taking on responsibilities that they simply cannot handle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ty,

    I really enjoyed your article and blog post. This topic is extremely controversial and brings about both safety and legal liabilities. I was completely unaware of the advanced technology of the the Audi A8. I agree with everything that you said about having a smooth transition from these cars. I believe one of the main reasons why these self-driving cars are having so many issues is because companies are jumping the gun and taking on responsibilities that they simply cannot handle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ty, I found this article to be extremely interesting. I completely agree with your view points on this controversial topic. Yes, the incident in Tempe was a tragedy BUT I believe today's technology is ready to take on self driving cars. I also believe that one issue that causes problems with self driving cars is the fact that so many companies are competing with one another to achieve and master self driving. This causes fast paced work and less time used on looking for issues with the vehicles. I also was not aware how advanced Audi was with their technology. Overall, I found this article and video to be very interesting! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete