Attached above is an example of a video that I made myself with my new GoPro Karma Drone. I shot this video on Mount Lemmon about one month ago. I decided to do my post on drones because of my passion for this technology.
About 2 months ago, I recently purchased my first drone. I did a lot of research on drones before I decided to spend a ton of money on one. I purchased the GoPro Karma Drone. I decided to get this drone because of my loyalty to GoPro. I have been using a GoPro for my videos that I made for about the past 5 years.
One aspect of the Karma drone is that it won’t allow you to fly it if you’re within 2 miles of any airport. Which I did find out the hard way. Another feature the Karma drone has is that it uses GPS to fly and to know where you’re located at all times. With this in mind, the FAA has required GoPro to include “No Fly Zones” within their GPS. So anywhere that the FAA doesn’t want you to fly, the drone won’t allow you to fly it. This has been a major pain in the ass for me with this drone. I have spent a lot of time and money to go to places around the US to make videos and I haven’t been able to use the drone in some of them.
My buddies and I went to Jackson Hole, Wyoming, which was a 17 hour drive from Tucson to go snowboarding. When we got there, there were signs everywhere that said “Drones Prohibited” I understand that Drones can be dangerous when close to an airport but I don’t see why someone like myself can’t use it for film making in a place like Jackson Hole. Because of my sincere interest in drones and the FAA I’ve decided to write my blog post on them and to devote this website to my passion for drones and this technology.
Drone Technology Research
Drones, also known as unmanned vehicles or UAV's, were originally created around 1990. According to the FAA, the current rule is that all recreational drone use is not allowed in state parks. Commercial use will be evaluated with a Filming Permit for news, publicity, and promotional purposes. Film Permit rules require insurance and a current FAA drone registration permit. (https://jrupprechtlaw.com/arizona-drone-laws).
The concept of drones is used in the scientific world more then anyone could imagine. Scientists all around the world have been using drones for years to collect not only arial footage but also important data on weather, wildlife, and even crime/terrorism, to name a few.
According to, (http://www.information-age.com/theyre-watching-you-drone-technology-establish-evolved-geographical-information-systems-123461772/)
Questions:
1. Do you think its fair that their are laws, rules, and regulations against drones, if they are not located near airports? Why do you think they prohibit them at places like Jackson Hole?
2. What benefits do you think will come from using drones in more locations?
3. If there are people like myself that just like having a drone for fun, should there be regulations against that? Why or why not?
My buddies and I went to Jackson Hole, Wyoming, which was a 17 hour drive from Tucson to go snowboarding. When we got there, there were signs everywhere that said “Drones Prohibited” I understand that Drones can be dangerous when close to an airport but I don’t see why someone like myself can’t use it for film making in a place like Jackson Hole. Because of my sincere interest in drones and the FAA I’ve decided to write my blog post on them and to devote this website to my passion for drones and this technology.
Drones, also known as unmanned vehicles or UAV's, were originally created around 1990. According to the FAA, the current rule is that all recreational drone use is not allowed in state parks. Commercial use will be evaluated with a Filming Permit for news, publicity, and promotional purposes. Film Permit rules require insurance and a current FAA drone registration permit. (https://jrupprechtlaw.com/arizona-drone-laws).
The concept of drones is used in the scientific world more then anyone could imagine. Scientists all around the world have been using drones for years to collect not only arial footage but also important data on weather, wildlife, and even crime/terrorism, to name a few.
According to, (http://www.information-age.com/theyre-watching-you-drone-technology-establish-evolved-geographical-information-systems-123461772/)
The evolved geographical information systems will provide an endless network of information-sharing that will benefit business and political aims, but it will have to be monitored - perhaps by drones?This means that people involved with information systems will use this drone technology to their advantage. Having an arial perspective can provide these IS specialists with a major advantages.
Questions:
1. Do you think its fair that their are laws, rules, and regulations against drones, if they are not located near airports? Why do you think they prohibit them at places like Jackson Hole?
2. What benefits do you think will come from using drones in more locations?
3. If there are people like myself that just like having a drone for fun, should there be regulations against that? Why or why not?

Jacob, you make a lot of great points in your article in regard to the appropriate use of drones. I do have to agree that it is fair for the FAA to regulate drone use near airports and other spaces of heavy air travel. Located on the edge of the Grand Teton National Park, Jackson Hole draw a lot of outdoor tourism like hiking, skiing, snowboarding. People come here to escape technology and daily life to fully immerse themselves in the outdoors, and seeing a drone flying above them could take away from that experience. Because of this, I believe certain regulations are appropriate to preserve the nature and environment of these National Parks. However, drones have proved beneficial with a variety of uses. Along with videography, drones were used at the Coachella Music Festival this past weekend displaying a light show above the Main Stage. Amazon is also working with Drone Technology as vehicles to deliver their products to consumers. For people like you who just like having a drone for fun, I think there should be regulations against that. People have ski boats, jet skis, and motorcycles for recreational use and there are separate regulations and rules for these as well.
ReplyDelete