Sunday, April 29, 2018

Virtual Reality in the Movie Industry


Over the years, virtual reality (VR) has become a massive industry predicted to be worth $80 billion by 2025. In specific, VR and the movie industry has a very promising future as developers work to create an experience unlike anyone has ever seen. A company called Oculus sparked the interest of integrating both VR and movies through a project called “storystudio”. The project entails teams of artists, creators, and technicians using the Oculus Rift, the VR headset, to create stories that connects with the user. Below is a video explaining how storystudio is working to create that experience:




A new type of content called Cinematic Virtual Reality (CVR) has helped the VR industry make huge advancements. CVR allows programmers to “approach the quality found in high-end television or films, and involve real people shot in actual physical locations” (theconversation). Well known Hollywood talent was a part of CVR at the Great Performers: LA Noir event showing remarkable content through VR. The director of Black Swan, Darren Aronofsky, signed a deal worth millions for a VR film series about space, named Spheres. In addition, Disney invested over $65 million into the industry, suggesting an assuring future.

VR is starting to make its presence in Hollywood as more businesses continue to invest in the industry. Over the next few years it is highly probable that we will begin to see VR being introduced into movie theaters, which will completely change the movie industry. It is an exciting time to be able to see what direction the movie industry will take next.

Questions:

1. What genre of movies do you think would best fit the VR movie industry?

2. Do you think that VR will actually make a presence in the movie industry?

3. Is this something you would be interested in participating in or would you steer clear of it? (I have heard VR headsets can make you feel dizzy or sick)


Source:

https://theconversation.com/hollywood-360-how-virtual-reality-is-poised-to-take-on-the-traditional-movie-industry-91426

4 comments:

  1. Hi Josh,

    I really enjoyed reading your post. It is evident that you did a lot of research, and are very knowledgable about the topic of VR. To answer your first question, I think that action or horror movies would be really cool to watch in virtual reality via Cinematic Virtual Reality. Suspenseful movies like A Quiet Place would be perfect for this sort of technology!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Josh, I found your post very fascinating. I believe that VR would be great for a few genres in particular, specifically horror as well as war movies. I think VR will make an appearance in the movie industry but in over 10 years. VR seems like the next step after 3d.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joshua, I love this, I think it could maximize the movie going experience much like 3D did years ago.

    I think action movies could gain substantial funds with VR, but people can not forget, VR simulates real life, and in war movies for example, a lot of Vets have PTSD, do we want that for average movie goers?

    I would be willing to participate in this, if people get dizzy, treat it like 3D glasses, just see the movie normally.


    I do think this will and can happen!

    good post Joshua

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joshua,

    This is a technology pairing that I have been wait for. I bought a VR headset a little while back and was sad to see that there are little to no movies for VR yet. I think that a VR action movie would be insane because you would feel apart of all that action thus giving you a new sense of trill when it comes to movies.

    ReplyDelete