Nowadays, companies are investing heavily in recruiting of cybersecurity experts that will help them locate and manage risk in a preventive way and not a mainly reactive way.
According to a report by Fire Eye early in 2018, companies are getting better at identifying security threats before there is a report from an affected persona.
Another important fact is that now in 2018, hackers have only as much as 1/4 of the time they had in 2011. These advancements are critical for the continuous development of technology and our trust on it. The reason behind hackers having way much less time is that 64% of the security breaches are being identified internally compared to only 6% in 2011.
https://www.axios.com/surprise-were-getting-better-at-cybersecurity-b623204c-7499-4b83-8e19-7a4dcc2dfdee.html
Omar,
ReplyDeleteI think this is a very interesting post. I took a class this semester on cyber security and learned a lot about the importance of companies being able to internally combat security problems. I like your graph at the bottom and think it is a great sign of progress that companies have made in regards to internal security.
Omar,
ReplyDeleteSimilar to Drew, I also took a course on cybersecurity this past semester. I found the class insightful and engaging. TO address the decrease in security breaches from 2011 to 2017, I believe that it is because the protection of cyber information has become such a hot topic. Classes like the one I took are a contributing factor in company's abilities to identify and react to security threats. As people, like executives, employees, and average-day persons become more aware of the possibilities of cyber attacks, I believe this number will only continue to decrease. Do you believe that companies, collectively, will ever be able to detect and respond to over 90% of all breaches? I think because of the proactive measures taken in recent years, it is highly likely that we will see these numbers only increase above 64%. Great share.
Omar,
ReplyDeleteI too just got done with my first information security course. I found this class to be very interesting as cyber security is becoming a very popular career path for individuals majoring in computer science, CIS, MIS, etc. I am hoping to also find a career in cyber security so this article really opened up my eyes to how much change has occurred in a short amount of time. Hopefully security does not become too advanced that there is no need for cyber security employees!