Sunday, April 29, 2018

Technology with ADHD

Technology habits and distractions is a very interesting topic. Technology is widely assumed to help with education. However that you for the general public. The Center for Disease Control says that almost 11% of children in the United States of America suffer from the disorder known as Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder or ADHD. ADHD is a disorder that effects the brain of individuals who have it. Simply put people with ADHD have a supremely hard time with focusing on anything that they do not find interesting.

For these children technology is not always helpful and can be harmful. Children with ADHD are prone to over-connect with technology. They are far more attached to TV, video games as well as computers. They are 25% more likely to succumb to internet addiction. Extraordinary levels of screen time has shown to lead to multiple problems for people with ADHD.

Poor performance in school is a result of too much technology for students with ADHD. Almost 90% of all teachers said that technology is creating shorter and shorter attention spans. This is horrible new for kids with ADHD who already have basically no attention span for things they don’t find interesting, things such as school.

ADHD is a disorder that so many people struggle to cope with, the fact that technology is hurting them more and more is horrible to hear about. Many people struggle with the concept of ADHD but its real and people diagnosed need help to learn. Technology has done the opposite.

Questions
1.      How can technology be better used to help Kids with ADHD ?
2.      How can society fight technology addiction?

Sources:
https://www.healthline.com/health/adhd/facts-statistics-infographic




11 comments:

  1. I think parents introducing their children to cognitively stimulating hobbies at a young age can have a positive effect. My friend said his parents introduced him to Spanish courses at a young age when he was diagnosed with ADHD and later on he was really grateful for it. Also, I think trying out musical instruments and different sports is helpful as well.

    I think individuals in society can do better at fighting technology addiction by making sure to take sufficient breaks from screen time every day. We can continue to cultivate hobbies and activities that don't involve screens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very interesting Nathan, I am a person who has been diagnosed with ADHD and my Musical instrument (trumpet) when i was young helped however i was still glued to the screen all the time. Video games and TV are just so interesting and i can see now why i was and still am so addicted to them both

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tom,

    Very interesting choice! The large amount of our society who have been diagnosed with ADD/ADHD, as the amount of technology all around is definitely not a good combination. To answer your question, perhaps less people would use their phones, iPads, laptops, etc, if they realized just how much time they were spending on them. Maybe if there was an app that people could downland that would notify the user that they have been using technology for " x" amount of time in one sitting, people would use them less. Or, if we could use the app to also see a log of the amount of time we spend on apps that would help. Personally speaking, I know I would use electronics less if I became more aware of the shear amount of time I spend on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that it is not a great combo Taylor. I also think that is a wonderful idea, a usage reminder!!!

      Delete
  4. Hi Tom,

    The question of what can we do to fight technology addiction really interested me because technology is an everyday part of life. I remember reading recently that both Steve Job and Bill Gates raised their kids in a tech-free to little environment. I think this question will become ever more prevalent in the coming decade.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very interesting, I never would have thought that these kids would be at risk.

    I think the way to fight internet addiction is to get kids reading again and limiting time allowed on line as a child. There are entire generations that are not addicted to the internet and I think it might have something to do with their young minds not being exposed to it.

    To help use tech for ADHD kids, I think specialists and teachers should be brought into meetings and asked how they think adhd kids can best react to certain things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark, its amazing that such a low amount of people know that ADHD kids are such targets to technology. Reading is a great idea I love it!

      Delete
  6. Besides ADHD, I also heard of this case that Siri is helping autistic kids! We all know Siri sucks at recognizing voices, but since it is so particular, it helps autistic kids to work on their pronunciation! Another good thing is Siri is very patient! It never minds to take its time to understand the autistic kids!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tom,
    I think this is a very interesting topic and very prevalent in the world today. It is incredible the effect that technology has had on millennials and the fact it can be linked directly to this disease is concerning. I think you pose 2 great questions. I think the use of more technologies and apps that lock children out of their devices if they use them for too long is a good way to lower these numbers. I am not sure we will be able to fight the addiction as a society but it seems we are starting to find ways to limit it.

    ReplyDelete